Juliette Top

Two sewing beauties, Suz of sewpony and Jill of @kneesockandgoldilocks, have teamed up in creating the Juliette dress and top pattern for girls. You're reading this because by some stroke of luck, I got to test it. As with many of Suz's dress patterns, Juliette is suitable for woven fabric, but I believe this is the first time she's offered a top-length style. Fun! (Which fits my MO, of course.)


The main style point is the ruffled collar, topping off the simple a-line silhouette.

I pulled this lovely border print from Art Gallery out of my stash for my first top.

I picked short sleeves and chose to add the optional faux placket, using a coordinating accent fabric for it. Given that the main fabric is fine and a bit sheer, I skipped the inseam pockets on this piece. I know what you're saying. Always do the pockets! It feels wrong to skip them, but I didn't want to weight this delicate top down.

For the closure, I opted for ties.

I don't love how the serger threads are peeking out from the underside of the collar as it floats up and down. I thought my light gray thread was neutral enough. This illustrates how subtle and light the print on this material is and also how lazy I am for not just changing my looper threads. :)

The model is 41" tall with a 22" chest, which puts her in between size 3 and 4 on the size chart. Top is a straight, unmodified size 4.

Shorts are  Berry Bubble Shorts by Mummykins and Me  (one of 10 patterns I picked for  summer sewing for kids ).

Shorts are Berry Bubble Shorts by Mummykins and Me (one of 10 patterns I picked for summer sewing for kids).

The fit is relaxed and appropriate for everyday wear or can be more dressy depending on fabric choice and styling.

I switched up the options and made another version. For my second top, I decided to really take a risk, finally cutting into this beautiful embroidered chambray.


I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!! And the best part of using an embroidered edge fabric like this is that no hemming is required.

This top sits about an inch lower because of how I cut it to maximize use of the embroidered design and best match the pattern at the seams.

I used the other included closure option- a simple button and loop. Check out that sweet little vintage button. I use them whenever possible since they are so unique. 

This was the first time taking pictures on the roof. We moved into this house last summer, so it's almost been a year and I'm still completely enamored with the view.

Anyway, back on task...

To finish the edge on this collar, I opted to try a narrow rolled hem. I've played with my rolled hem foot a little, though I don't think I've official used it in a project before. Trying this on a curved piece likely made my task a bit more challenging. So, my rolled hem isn't perfect, but overall I'm pretty pleased and I know I'll be using this foot again.

With this sleeveless version, I chose to finish the armscye with bias. The pattern comes with sleeve facings for finishing here. I'm just not a big fan of facings for necklines or arm holes. Essentially the same technique used on the neckline can be used to finish a sleeveless version and it looks really sharp. (I actually turned the binding to the inside, so it looks like French bias binding. This tutorial series on bias binding is one I often refer back to.)

Simple leggings in  wine marsala double brushed poly  round out this outfit. 

Simple leggings in wine marsala double brushed poly round out this outfit. 

I skipped the pockets again. Don't shoot me!

Two other sleeve lengths, three quarter and long, are included in the pattern, as well as cut lines for dress length but I did not test those features.

Juliette comes in sizes 12m, 18m and 2-10y. You can get your copy here.

For more inspiration, check out the other testers' delightful versions introduced in Suz's post here


Many thanks to my pal Christy for supplying an agreeale model and helping with photos!