If you're a Mummykins and Me superfan like me, you likely have all of Rebecca's patterns. I recently decided to combine 2 classic Mummykins patterns to create a new look.

The basic idea is to take the Teatime Romper and mix it up with the sleeves from Olivia to create a new romper style. I also changed the style of the casings on the sleeves and legs for fun.

I made a 3-6 month romper in shorts length in a knit fabric, and "paper bag" hems. I'll run you through the modifications I made in the mash-up-

The romper was originally designed to be finished with bias, while the neckline of Olivia folds under to create a casing. As such, I added to the height of the romper bodice, so it could be turned under for the casing. I added half an inch, just eyeballing it when cutting.

Sleeve from Olivia

Sleeve from Olivia

To add a little ruffle effect at the sleeve, I moved the casing away from the edge. I turned the sleeve hem under once, approximately an inch, then sewed 2 lines of stitching. One stitch line a half inch from the folded edge and the second line a half inch inside the first line, at the raw edge.

20170409_111457.jpg

Inserted 1/4" elastic in the casing and secured the ends. I used 8 inches for 3-6 month size.

Attached the sleeves to the bodice and then closed the side seams and sleeves.

I smashed the front and back pant pieces together before cutting, overlapping at the middle to adjust for the seam allowance and adding a half inch to the length so I could create the same casings as the sleeves.

Repeated the same steps as the sleeves to create the elastic casing. I used 9" of 1/4" elastic for the legs. Closed each leg along the inseam, then joined them together along the full crotch seam with one leg nested inside the other and right sides together. 

Attached the bodice to the bottoms. I simply serged the raw edges together with right sides facing, then created the waist casing by stitching another line 3/4 inches from the joined edge, leaving 2 inches open to insert the waist elastic. After inserting the elastic and closing the casing, I stitched the serged edge to the bodice. This is slightly different than the construction instructions in the Teatime Romper, but worked well for knit fabric.

Inside view of completed waist casing

Inside view of completed waist casing

Finished the neckline in the same manner as the instructions for The Olivia. (Except I used 1/2 inch elastic here. Ooopsie!  I think it makes the neckline too bulky and I plan to use 1/4 inch elastic next time.)

Done! 

Done! 

Sleeve detail

Sleeve detail

Babykins approves!

Babykins approves!

Comment